Sunday, June 19, 2011

Stevie Nicks Wants the Vocal Longevity of an Opera Singer

Rock star cast as opera diva? She would
be perfect for Massenet's Cendrillon.
"Stevie Nicks is in a hurry. One of the world’s great front-women - and the face of Fleetwood Mac since joining with then boyfriend Lindsey Buckingham back in 1975 - she is in London to promote a new solo album and appear with Rod Stewart in Hyde Park. And, as she juggles her solo career with the ongoing resurrection of Fleetwood Mac, the Arizona-born singer, 63, knows time is of the essence. 'Once you turn 60, you can’t hang around,' she says. 'When we finished the Fleetwood Mac Unleashed Tour in 2009, I told the band I was going to make a solo record. I wanted to do it as quickly as I could - it took a year - and then go back to them. I’m not sure whether we’ll tour or make a new album, but we’ll do something. In ten years, we’ll all be over 70. We might not feel like an 83-date tour then, so we’ve got to act quickly....At the moment, I can’t stop. If I ever feel I’m doing things that are age-inappropriate, I might reconsider. But female opera singers work into their 70s. Why not a rock singer?” [Source]

Stevie Nicks certainly has an operatic wardrobe, so what if she were an opera singer? Which opera would best suit her style? After the jump is a fun gallery of photos depicting some appropriate casting.


Carmen (Bizet)

Madama Butterfly (Puccini)

Manon (Massenet)

Turandot (Puccini)

Tosca (Puccini)

Fidelio (Beethoven)
Adriana Lecouvreur (Cilea)

La Bohème (Puccini)

Lulu (Berg)

Rigoletto (Verdi)

Un Ballo in Maschera (Verdi)

Die Lustige Witwe (Lehár)
Salome (Strauss)
Die Walküre (Wagner)